Urgent Appeal for Gaza and Jerusalem
Following the attack on Gaza for 11 consecutive days, where death, destruction and continual suffering have become the reality for around 2 million people living in the 360-km2 Strip. As of May 17, two hundred people have been killed (of whom 34 are women, 60 children and 106 Men). Since the start of the escalation, 132 buildings, comprising 621 housing and commercial units, have been destroyed. In addition, 316 housing units have been severely damaged, and rendered uninhabitable, according to the Shelter Cluster. An additional 206 housing units have suffered major damage, and 6,268 have suffered minor damage. 1
Seventy-Two Thousand people are displaced and staying with host families. Population has been displaced as residents sought refuge from the shelling and rocket attacks, Gazans are struggling to meet basic needs such as food, water, shelter and health care. Health services have suffered especially with COVID 19 outbreak, facing major shortages of supplies and medication, tending to the injured and ill despite water and electricity cuts. Gaza is already experiencing a major humanitarian disaster that is spiraling out of control as the days pass. 2
Juzoor for Health and Social Development, and in coordination with its Gaza office, seeks urgent assistance for much-needed Newborn & Mother Care and Children Mental Health and Psychosocial Support and pre-hospital medical essential kits to communities in Gaza, and support to Community Health Mobilizers to distribute the kits and provide essential health services. Support is also needed to complement Health care providers with essential training to respond to the crisis situation. Juzoor is urgently asking your help with the following intervention areas.
Support to New Mothers and New Born Babies, born during the crisis and still living at hosting families::
- Newborn and mother care kit
Support to reduce the stress and fear of children traumatized by the recent attack because of losing family members and/or home destruction/damages. Juzoor will conduct some activities in Gaza schools that aim to serve and help children overcome the stress they faced through holding summer camps activities, which include:
- Physical activities
- Healthy Nutrition
- Interactive activities
- Psychosocial support
Support training of existing Community mobilizers in affected areas
- First Aid and stop-the-bleed training, and distribution of emergency kits.
- Providing essential health services to vulnerable groups, especially elderly with chronic diseases.
Support the training of health service providers in responding to the crises situation:
- Basic life support training and Trauma training under crisis.
- Communication and psychosocial support training for health providers.
Support efforts in managing the COVID 19 pandemic under an emergency situation:
- Awareness materials
- Hygiene kits and protection kits.
- Promoting the Covid-19 vaccination efforts.
Support efforts in reducing Gender-Based Violence (GBV) during the emergency situation:
- Juzoor’s helpline will continue to be operated by a call center. A GBV survivor who calls the helpline will be provided with counselling by trained protection staff using the case management system.
- Juzoor’s existing network of community mobilizers will provide support to social workers who conduct remote GBV case management, by supporting the referral pathway.
- Provision of dignity kits with essential hygiene and menstrual management items
- An information campaign on GBV risks will be developed and disseminated through the existing network of community mobilizers and in collaboration with CBOs, using different methods such as the mother-to-mother approach, online platforms, and printed materials.
- Implementing GBV risk mitigation interventions within WASH and Health services. Community health mobilizers are trained on GBV safe disclosure and referrals, as well as psychological first aid. In addition, information about GBV response services will be posted at Health and WASH facilities.
Identify and train youth groups to able to identify, transform and intervene in certain areas, to act as Youth Ambassadors to help reach out to the needed and necessary medical services. Activities include:
- Training Youth in identifying youth at risk or suffering from trauma.
- Providing needed support to teachers.
- Youth Networking.
- Reproductive Health.
- Youth Initiatives.
- Using the Tik Tok and other Social Media platforms.
- Training Youth in Crisis Management.
- Establishing direct support groups.
Your support for this appeal is highly appreciated!
Please help us and donate for Gaza at the below account:
Bank Account Name: JUZOOR For Health and Social Development
Account Number: 9090 - 481667
Bank: Arab Bank –Ramallah –– Al Masyoun Branch -Palestine
Swift : ARAB PS-22090
IBAN USD: IBAN Number: PS59 ARAB 0000 0000 9090 4816 6751 0
IBAN NIS: PS88 ARAB 0000 0000 9090 4816 6757 0
IBAN EU: PS04 ARAB 0000 0000 9090 4816 6753 0
1 Crises Portal. United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, OCHA, retrieved on May 19, 2021: https://www.ochaopt.org/crisis
2 OCHA. Occupied Palestinian Territory (oPt): Flash Update #8 Escalation in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank and Israel, retrieved on May 19, 2021. https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/flash_update_8_escalations_of_hostilities.pdf