Juzoor for Health and Social Development (Juzoor), funded by the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development through Taawon is facilitating the Medical Subspecialty and Nursing Training for Palestinian Doctors and Nurses scholarship program in various countries including the UK, Lebanon, Jordan and Canada through the joint program between Juzoor and the Foundation for Al Quds University Medical School (FQMS), the American University of Beirut (AUB), and the Palestinian International Institute (PII). The program offers opportunities for training in vital shortage subspecialties not currently available locally aiming to support the development of human resources in the health sector in Palestine and ensure the availability of trained, qualified medical specialists in Palestinian health institutions.
Training in the UK is in partnership with Al-Quds Foundation for Medical Schools in Palestine (FQMS). The program follows the framework of the Royal Colleges Medical Training initiative (MTI) for international medical graduates. The MTI scheme allows for training in the UK in many (but not all) subspecialties for a maximum period of 2 years, whereby the Colleges provide a certificate of sponsorships for approved candidates. This facilitates obtaining a 2-year tier 5 visa and General Medical Council (GMC) registration with exemption from the Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) examination.
Training in Lebanon follows the requirements of the American University of Beirut (AUB). The AUB scheme allows for training in Lebanon in many (but not all) subspecialties for a period depending on the specialty and it also facilitates obtaining an entry visa for candidates.
Training in Jordan is done in collaboration with the Palestine International Institute (PII), where they support physicians, health professionals, and nurses to enroll in specialty training and short-term courses at Jordanian institutions and hospitals.
Criteria for Applicants
- be Palestinian medical graduates.
- have a practicing license from the Palestine Medical Council or be eligible to apply for one.
- intend to work in Palestine and commit to do so.
- be willing to pay a registration fee of 100 JD upon selection.
- be willing to sign legally binding agreements with a Palestinian institution and with Juzoor whereby s/he commits to return and work in Palestine for a period which shall be no less than twice the period of training, subject to penalty.
- be willing to contribute to the sustainability of the program by contributing to a revolving fund, in accordance with the binding contract.
- pass the IELTS examination with a minimum of 7.0 in each section (UK, AUB and Canada scholarships only).
- have the necessary postgraduate experience/qualifications needed for the intended subspecialty.
- provide the necessary documentation and fulfill requirements needed to obtain GMC registration and sponsorship for a tier 5 visa (UK scholarships only).
- be willing to fulfill the requirements of the post in the UK and undergo regular assessments (UK scholarships only).
How to Apply
- Make sure you have read the criteria for applicants and deadlines to determine whether you meet the scholarship requirements.
- Fill your online application here.
- The following documents must be submitted with the application:
- A copy of the candidate’s ID.
- A copy of the candidate’s CV.
- A copy of the candidate’s license to practice.
- A copy of the candidate’s board exam certificate (for sub-specialties only).
- A copy of a recommendation letter from the candidate’s organization.
- A copy of the candidate’s IELTS test results (if applicable). A minimum score of 7 in each section of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination (listening, writing, reading and speaking), and an overall score of 7.5 or above is required for scholarships in the UK, Canada, and Lebanon.
UK Scholarships: Juzoor has supported 3 doctors obtain sub-specialty training in orthopedic surgery, laparoscopic abdominal surgery and pediatric cardiology at UK hospitals including King’s College Hospital and Southampton General Hospital. Three doctors are still currently abroad finishing their sub-specialty training in hematopathology and gynecology/oncology, and 2 doctors have been granted scholarships and are pending placement.
Jordan Scholarships: Juzoor has supported 8 doctors and 4 nurses obtain short-term (1-2 months) specialty training and 9 doctors obtain long-term (1-4 years) specialty training at Jordan hospitals. Four doctors are currently finishing their specialty training, 3 doctors and 1 nurse have been granted scholarships and are pending placement at Jordan hospitals and 2 doctors have been granted scholarships to train at the Nazareth English Hospital in Nazareth.
Lebanon Scholarships: Juzoor has supported 1 doctor obtain a five-year scholarship to the American University of Beirut to specialize in diagnostic radiology.
Preparing professionals for training and practice
Juzoor conducts pre-requisite, preparatory courses for doctors and nurses including emergency training courses such as Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Ethics, and communication. In addition, courses will be provided to help prepare doctors pass the English language tests, which are a requirement for training scholarships in the UK, Canada and Lebanon.
Juzoor congrats Dr. Bashar Jabber for finishing his subspecialty training in laparoscopic abdominal surgery at Southampton General Hospital-London.